top of page

To Surrender your Pet

You will need to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet. There will be an owner surrender fee and you must live in Adams County. We encourage you to seek a viable alternative on your own. 


If you are a pet owner and find yourself in a situation where you cannot keep your pet, the Adams County SPCA has several suggestions.


We can take your name and number and call you if and when we have space. We encourage you to seek a viable alternative on your own.
If you must surrender your dog, you must first contact the Adams County SPCA to set up an appointment.  The goal of the Adams County SPCA is to find a home for every adoptable animal. Therefore, we are unable to accept dogs with bite histories, aggressive behaviors or untreatable medical conditions.


Options to shelter surrender
If you must place your pet with a new home, make sure that you are allowing your pet to go with a responsible person and we suggest that you follow up with that person after the exchange. If you are moving, visit our list of housing alternatives that will allow pets on this website. You owe it to your pet to seek out a living situation where they can come along. If you have a family member who has developed allergies to your pet, you may be able to medically manage the situation.

Rehome by and Petco Foundation   

The safe way to rehome your pet

Experts at, the largest non-profit pet adoption website, with support from the Petco Foundation, have created a simple, reliable program to help you place your pet from your loving home directly to another.


Again, if you find yourself in a true emergency, please contact the Adams County SPCA. We will help both you and your pet to the best of our ability.


We do not accept Owner Surrender horses or farm animals.


Animal Control and Rescue


State Dog Warden


York County


Frederick County
Admin Office   301-600-1546
Officers           301-600-1544


Game Commission


by and Petco Foundation
Search Pet
Friendly Rentals
bottom of page